You may not know her face, but if you’ve been to a Wabash Theater production in the last 16 years, there’s a good chance you’ve seen the work of costume designer Andrea Bear. 

Bear, who has spent the majority of her professional career bringing the Ball Theater stage to life with her creations, is headed to Pomona College in Claremont, California at the end of this semester. The road to sunny SoCal, however, has not always been straight.

“I grew up in a very small area. We didn’t have theater or anything,” Bear said. “I didn’t know you could get a job in theater or film or anything like that until I went to undergrad at Kansas State University.”

At college, Bear started working in the costume shop, drawing on the sewing lessons her grandmother taught her as a child. After working as a professional costume designer for years and earning her Master of Fine Arts (MFA) from Wayne State University, she finally landed at Wabash in 2008.

When I first came here, I wasn’t teaching: I was design and costume shop only,” Bear said, “And then that kind of evolved as we went along.”

When the Theater Department realized they had a designer with an MFA at their disposal, they adapted the department to best incorporate her talents.

“She’s totally transformed the way the costume shop works at Wabash,” said Professor of Theater and Department Chair Jim Cherry. “Before Andrea, there was no costume design class. Before Andrea, there was no Puppets In Prague. There was no magic and manipulation class. She’s added a lot to the curriculum and has, I think, proven yet another cliche about men wrong, which is that costume design is for women and that scenic design is for men.”

As an instructor, Bear’s classes are consistently popular, and her students have seen great success after graduation. One of her costume shop protégés, Paul Haesemeyer ’21, was recently awarded a Fulbright scholarship to study knitting in Latvia and has been featured in Vogue Knitting magazine.

“Andrea helped me discover it is possible — even likely! — to succeed as an artist,” Haesemeyer said. “In the costume shop, she challenged my stitching and costuming abilities, encouraging me to try new techniques and eventually even help manage fellow workers. Andrea never doubted my ideas, no matter how large or impossible they might have seemed at the time”

“I like to see the trajectory of where they start to where they finish,” said Bear. “I like to give students a start-to-finish project. Going through every single step helps people process a little bit more, and it gives students a sense of completion. They can see the costume on stage and say, ‘I made that.’”

In her own way, Bear is a student herself. After already establishing a successful career, she made the decision to apply her skills to the art of puppetry.

“I’ve always been into mask-making and different things,” said Bear. “And I wanted to branch out, because I feel like mask-making and puppetry fall into that same world of creating an inanimate object that you breathe life into.”

After looking around at different options, Bear and her life and creative partner Todd Handlogten found a puppet-carving workshop in Prague, Czech Republic. 

“We went, and we were working with these professional puppet carvers and directors,” Bear said. “It was a really amazing experience.”

They came back energized, and after working with the department to incorporate puppetry into a few productions, Bear drew up a proposal to take students on an immersion trip to participate in the Puppets In Prague workshop. Since, she has led two trips — in 2018 and 2022 — during which Wabash students work with professional puppet makers to design and carve their own traditional Czech marionettes.

By continuously developing her own skills, Bear helped push the department to new heights while at Wabash.

“As a collaborator, [she] always pushes me to do my best work,” said Professor of Theater Michael Abbott ’85. “When [I] know Andrea is going to step up her game and give you a big costume run, I feel like I have to give it all I’ve got. She’s energized the program over the years to do our best work.”

“All of the directors that I’ve worked with here have been very open to working with my ideas,” Bear said. “They’ve been very game to push the limits, and that’s one of the things that was always really fun about designing here.”

After Bear heads west, the costume shop will continue in operation under the direction of a new designer, but the impact that she had on the Wabash Theater Department and the legacy she leaves behind will long outlive her 16 years at the College.