Both doctors leaving after more than 25 years

Dr. John Roberts ’83 and Dr. Scott Douglas ’84, have each served in the College’s Health Center since 1998, through 25 Monon Bell Games and the COVID-19 pandemic, helping our students anytime they were needed. Both doctors are highly involved in serving the local and Wabash communities, though this year marks their last in service to Wabash College as medical practitioners as the dynamic duo moves into retirement.

Dr. Scott Douglas ’84 (left) and Dr. John Roberts ’83 (right) at the 129th Monon Bell classic in Little Giant Stadium on November 11, 2023. | Photo courtesy of Communications and Marketing

“I don’t recall having ‘Wabash College Physician’ on my radar screen as an undergraduate,” said Roberts,.“I do recall wanting to possibly return to Crawfordsville someday to practice medicine and be near my alma mater, but I had no clue what specialty I would pursue, or if the one I chose would allow me to return.”

Dr. Roberts and Dr. Douglas took over the reins of Wabash Student Health from Dr. Keith Baird ’56  in 1998. Baird served as a NASA flight surgeon for the infamous Apollo 13 mission.

Dr. Roberts was instrumental in the College’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic. He served on call 24/7 during the heat of the pandemic, and has been crucial in helping modernize the health center’s approach and use of technology. “Dr. Roberts is whip-smart and has a dry sense of humor,” remarked Wabash College Nurse Chris Amidon. “He has been endlessly available to the College in so many ways.”

Dr. Douglas makes visits to the College 2-3 times per week in addition to his full-time private medical practice. He serves as the chief medical officer of the Montgomery County Free Health Clinic, and was crucial in minimizing the community risk during the COVID-19 pandemic. “Dr. Douglas is warm, compassionate and a great listener, which makes him a great diagnostician,” said Amidon. “The two of them complement each other well because they’re different personality types and have different strengths. They’re also best friends.”

“Though we never really knew each other until medical residency, [Dr. Douglas] has been a year behind me starting at North Central High School, Wabash, IU School of Medicine, Family Medicine residency at Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis and then Crawfordsville Family Care following his 3-year stint as an Air Force flight surgeon,” recalled Dr. Roberts. “I can only say it has been an honor and privilege to work with him in private practice, at Wabash, as a member of the Montgomery County Health Department team during the pandemic and as a citizen of Montgomery County.”

The search to replace both doctors has not been easy. 

“It’s a challenge because this community has a serious shortage of primary care physicians. We’ve gone from about 14 in the county to just 3 to 4 now,” said Amidon. “We have one doctor committed for next year, who I think will work well with our students, but we’re still trying to find a second person.” 

The clinic is aided by the fact that Amidon earned her Nurse Practitioner’s degree, which was made easier by Dr. Roberts and Dr. Douglas, who both provided tips. This has expanded her clinical capabilities and allowed her to treat more patients. However, the search for the second physician is still active.

Drs. Roberts and Douglas leave behind a shining legacy with plenty of stories assisting students in their capacity as physicians. Whether it be at sporting events, annual physicals, or coming in after hours when a student needed stitches, their actions speak volumes of their service to their alma mater. 

“Being alumni, they care about the students in a deep way, and I think that students know that they can empathize with them because they went through the Wabash experience themselves,  even though it was many years ago,” said Amidon. “I don’t think we’ll ever have someone with the kind of dedication that these two have had for the College since they started doing this in 1998.”

“I want to reiterate what a pleasure it has been to work in Student Health at Wabash,” said Roberts. “We have tried to deliver personal care to every one of our students over the years and I’m sure that will continue after Dr. Douglas and I leave the second floor of the Allen Center.”

There will be a combined retirement celebration for Dr. Roberts, Dr. Douglas and Jamie Douglas April 18 from 4-6pm in Kendall House.